Facebook


Find us on Facebook!

To keep updated like our page at:

Or on Twitter:
@MusipediaOMetal

Or E-mail us at:
musipediaofmetal@gmail.com

Monday 1 April 2019

A View From The Back Of The Room: Holding Absence (Live Review By Polly)

Holding Absence, The Globe, Cardiff

It has a certain ring: “Love’s a funny thing”.

Well after reviewing their album and being totally blown away it was imperative that saw Holding Absence live and what a night it was. The event was extra special as it is was the band’s hometown gig. Following their album release earlier this month it’s clear the impact they have from the impressive turnout, I haven’t seen The Globe that full, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was sold out. (Ah I can feel the sweat - Ed)

Their set opened with Perish,also the opening track on their self-titled album, to add to the hype and leaving myself and the rest of the crowd on the edge of their metaphorical seat, they played the intro sounds from the album before kicking it all off. The band’s timing and precision is admirable and combined with Lucas Woodland’s impressive voice, which sounds exactly the same live as on album (a bonus in my books, there is nothing worse than being excited to see a band perform and them sounding the polar opposite to what they do on disc). 

As stated in the album review, the band’s well written lyrics are powerful to say the least, and earth shattering in the flesh, the crowd were sucked in immediately. The energy they have put into their performance is a foundation to how much their music and performance means to them and how hard they aim to surpass their fans expectations of seeing a band live. It was heartwarming to see the crowd scream the lyrics back at the band and the band’s reaction shows the humility and gratitude they have for their fan base. Vocalist, Lucas took a moment to interact with the crowd which he stated the band does not like doing much as they feel their music should do the talking. He then went into performing the softer paced song Marigold, I’m ashamed to say that through the tough exterior I failed to keep that it brought a tear to my eye. 

Every track on the album that I was gasping to hear live, they delivered and it surpassed each expectation that I had of the band. The main track of their album that left me itching to hear live was Your Love (Has Ruined My Life) which emphasises that this is exactly why I enjoy standing in a crowded room full of sweaty people, it makes it all worth-while. This band does not need a trebuchet to go far, I can see a bright future for the band if they keep this up.

**Side note & another reason of why I enjoyed the show: watching the security guard lose his mind as he runs around the venue trying to stop people from crowd surfing and failing miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment