Facebook


Find us on Facebook!

To keep updated like our page at:

Or on Twitter:
@MusipediaOMetal

Or E-mail us at:
musipediaofmetal@gmail.com

Sunday 12 June 2022

A View From The Back Of The Room: David Grey (Live Review By Nicholas Hewitt)

David Gray, Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff, 29.06.22

After being rearranged not once, not twice but three times since the beginning of the pandemic; David Gray’s 20th anniversary tour of his seminal album White Ladder quickly became the 22nd anniversary tour. My plans for this tour changed multiple times, initially having tickets for Birmingham and then Bournemouth in an attempt to avoid seeing the man himself in Cardiff. Having had the pleasure of seeing David Gray a few times in my life, my previous experiences of seeing him in Cardiff have not been enjoyable for both myself, or notably David Gray himself. Usually welcomed to a drunk boisterous crowd all there for just “those two songs” who have very little consideration for the rest of the crowd, artist or set, I wanted to avoid this for this particular tour. However we’re played the cards we’re dealt and if we’ve learnt anything over the past few years… we should be grateful for every moment.

As I’ve mentioned in previous reviews, David Gray is without doubt one of my favourite performers. An astute musician, a unique voice which is accompanied by lyrics that both make you think and are relatable to everyday life. Growing up he was and still is a person I always end up being drawn back to a few times a year, to his entire back catalogue, but more specifically White Ladder. This album has been there for me in the good times and the bad, in celebrations of life successes to the depths of woe in times of testing battles. So for me, this was going to be a night to truly tick off the bucket list.

Arriving into the Motorpoint arena with twenty minutes to go to a very specific start time of 8pm with no support, the arena was already pretty much full. I was greeted at my seat by lady a row back who had already spilt her drinks over half of her row and was fighting a continuous battle with gravity at this early point, this did not bode well initially, until the arena staff came and laid down the law firmly but fairly… not a peep was heard throughout the rest of the night. This strict but fair policing was to be a continued theme throughout the evening which, for me was a great relief to see and definitely enhanced the experience for all around.

Arriving on stage a little late at 8.15pm, David was welcomed to a warm applause by most but a rapturous one by the some, including myself. He wasted little time in diving into a greatest hit set filled with well known beauties and a couple of hidden gems. An opening trio of The One I Love, Hospital Food and Alibi from 2005 album Life In Slow Motion confirmed that David Gray was indeed on top form, with his patented head wobble in full flow. Next was a brief aside from David, who discussed his Welsh roots referencing his current excitement being relatable to that of when he first played for his local team Solva FC in his youth. Moving on to discus a song that meant so much to him which doesn’t see the light of day too much, as he strummed the opening lines to the masterpiece that is Flame Turns Blue from 2001 album Lost Songs. 

This for me, is my all time favourite David Gray song. Welcomed with great surprise and excitement by half of the crowd, Flame Turns Blue is a peaceful beauty that can be interpreted in many ways, majestic in nature and healing in both tune and lyrics. A song I’ve never had the privilege of hearing live before, and quite frankly I never thought I would. So I do not mind saying, I shed a tear or two while taking this in. Evidently, by the flawless and sensitive nature it was delivered, its equally as important to its creator, a real treat. The opening forty minute set was drawn to a close with a quartet of more well known songs from albums A New Day At Midnight and Draw The Line, with offerings of Fugitive, Nemesis and the anthemic Be Mine included, which saw the crowd ushering in the interval singing, dancing and clapping along.

As the second half arrived the lights went down a montage of photographs was displayed on the screens that surrounded the stage, including those of David from his youth to the present day and album covers. Upon his return to the stage David was supporting an Elivis-esque flared white suit with his band in tow, but this time with another treat… the return of drummer Craig McClune, who is quite simply put, a god of percussion. After their parting of ways in 2007 after fifteen years of collaboration, this again was something I never thought I would have the honour of seeing. Everyone on stage was met this time to a scintillating applause by the entire arena in anticipation of White Ladder in full.

With no messing around "Clune" tapped out the classic world renowned double time drum line of Please Forgive me and the rest, was almost history. As McClune caressed the drums and preformed patented spins, flicks and waves of his sticks he following hour passed way too quickly, with the entire crowd joining in with the aforementioned Please Forgive Me, Babylon and later on This Years Love and Sail Away. The intermediate songs of the album such as My Oh My, We’re Not Right and self confessed all time favourite of David’s Silver Lining were equally well received by sections of the crowd. A particular highlight of this set for me was Nightblindness; a bittersweet song about the struggles of life that we all at times feel or experience, but realising there is always that one person or thing around to focus on that will help pull you through. Delivered with David’s recognised slightly nasal harmonic voice, with his precise and gentle strums of his guitar, this was a song that silenced the crowd who watch and listened in awe of the special event unraveling in front of them. 

Sadly all great things have to come to an end and in relation to White Ladder that end is signaled by the opening notes of David’s successful cover of Soft Cell’s Say Hello, Wave Goodbye. With David’s dulcet tones of this song echoing around the arena the entire room could be heard singing along while swaying back and fore in unity. As the last note faded, once again the room was filled with rapturous applause and celebrations. A surprising encore followed which, I must be honest I didn’t hang around for as I had a train to catch and I wanted the night to finish on the high and wonders of the album that means so much to me. From what I understand a trio of covers from Soft Cell and the legend that is David Bowie were offered but, I can’t report back on much more. For the sake of argument, we’ll assume Gray nailed all three.

A night that I will truly remember for a long time and an artist I will be introducing my niece too as soon as possible, specifically this album so I can constantly regale her with the “I was there stories” and no doubt be the “cool” uncle, right? …right! Its difficult for be to put aside my bias’s and not give this a 10/10, but if I were to dig down and be critical then I think the encore was probably was a bit of an anti-climax, particularly as it did not consist of any of his own significant back catalogue, this to me, just seemed strange and unnecessary. Nonetheless, if in eighteen years time there is a 40th anniversary tour and I’m still gracing this planet… consider me there with bells on. 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment