
Repent Summer Fest saw Bottom Of The Barrel, System Slaves, Flubber, Rancours, The Oppressed and Cro-Mags take over the Corn Exchange for a day of Punk/Hardcore.
Presented by South Wales Collective who strive to keep hardcore, ugly, real and for the working class.
It was my first time at the Corn Exchange and when I arrived the room was almost empty. Concrete floors, exposed pipes across the ceiling and accessible seating near the front of the stage, meaning those using it could still be part of the experience, something I don't usually see at a venue.
There had been some changes to the line-up before the event. Hoods were removed following footage of transphobic comments being made at another gig, with the bands touring alongside them also coming off the bill. It was quite clearly the right call.
Bottom Of The Barrel (7) got things started to a small crowd, with messages of support around gender, sex and race. “Don't be a cunt” probably summed it up best.
It was my first time at the Corn Exchange and when I arrived the room was almost empty. Concrete floors, exposed pipes across the ceiling and accessible seating near the front of the stage, meaning those using it could still be part of the experience, something I don't usually see at a venue.
There had been some changes to the line-up before the event. Hoods were removed following footage of transphobic comments being made at another gig, with the bands touring alongside them also coming off the bill. It was quite clearly the right call.
Bottom Of The Barrel (7) got things started to a small crowd, with messages of support around gender, sex and race. “Don't be a cunt” probably summed it up best.
They also spoke about free speech not meaning freedom from consequences, particularly fitting given the changes to the line-up. The crowd engaged well and they were a great start to the day. I'm looking forward to hearing more from them.
System Slaves (7) were next. I really enjoyed the vocals but just wished the crowd had pulled in and moved more like the other sets. There was plenty of space at the front, with most people choosing to hang further back.
Before Flubber (8) started I overheard someone say, “I'm gonna get Flubbed to fuck”, followed by “any band can become a verb”.
Then came the Cape Fear intro with “Councilor, Councilor I am as big as God and he is as small as I” being bellowed down the mic.
Once things got moving there was plenty of pacing and swinging arms back and forth in front of the stage, with members of the band smirking at each other clearly enjoying themselves.
System Slaves (7) were next. I really enjoyed the vocals but just wished the crowd had pulled in and moved more like the other sets. There was plenty of space at the front, with most people choosing to hang further back.
One young teenage girl clearly wasn't bothered, dancing away and enjoying herself regardless. With the age range already standing out to me, it was nice seeing someone so young getting involved and supporting the local scene.
Before Flubber (8) started I overheard someone say, “I'm gonna get Flubbed to fuck”, followed by “any band can become a verb”.
Then came the Cape Fear intro with “Councilor, Councilor I am as big as God and he is as small as I” being bellowed down the mic.
Once things got moving there was plenty of pacing and swinging arms back and forth in front of the stage, with members of the band smirking at each other clearly enjoying themselves.
Someone two-stepped onto the stage before later being carried around over someone’s shoulders with their legs stretched out. One of those legs ended up against my back and accidentally pushed me along with them, so I unexpectedly went for a little walk through the crowd too, but that's hardcore/punk.
By Rancour (8), the crowd had picked up. Their energetic set came with messages of a "Freee Palestine" and the climate crisis, alongside a dedication to their friend. More people started moving as the set went on until arms and legs were flying and that familiar musky smell of trainers started filling the room.
The Oppressed (9). With age comes experience and they have nailed the art of storytelling, something I wish we had more of at shows personally. Each song had a story and everyone hung off every word.
By Rancour (8), the crowd had picked up. Their energetic set came with messages of a "Freee Palestine" and the climate crisis, alongside a dedication to their friend. More people started moving as the set went on until arms and legs were flying and that familiar musky smell of trainers started filling the room.
The Oppressed (9). With age comes experience and they have nailed the art of storytelling, something I wish we had more of at shows personally. Each song had a story and everyone hung off every word.
At times it felt really intimate, particularly when another man joined them on the mic. You could really sense the respect between them both. The love for these Cardiff legends was clear throughout the crowd as they sang along and moved their bodies to every song.
Cro-Mags (10) finished the day. Harley showed that age really is just a number. A few songs in and the shirt came off, with compliments about the shape he was in coming from several directions around me. Then there were the vocals, followed by fists pumping, bodies piling at the front and high energy throughout, with the rest of the band matching Harley's intensity.
There were messages of equality and peace between songs, with Harley thanking The Oppressed for being such a big influence. It was nice seeing that respect between two bands from different ends of the world who have both been doing this for decades.
Harley also spoke about how music connects us, and it was something I saw all evening . In-between sets I noticed people gathering outside, catching up with friends, making new ones, networking and sharing stories with each other. Inside there were teenagers alongside people who had been going to shows for decades.
Cro-Mags (10) finished the day. Harley showed that age really is just a number. A few songs in and the shirt came off, with compliments about the shape he was in coming from several directions around me. Then there were the vocals, followed by fists pumping, bodies piling at the front and high energy throughout, with the rest of the band matching Harley's intensity.
There were messages of equality and peace between songs, with Harley thanking The Oppressed for being such a big influence. It was nice seeing that respect between two bands from different ends of the world who have both been doing this for decades.
Harley also spoke about how music connects us, and it was something I saw all evening . In-between sets I noticed people gathering outside, catching up with friends, making new ones, networking and sharing stories with each other. Inside there were teenagers alongside people who had been going to shows for decades.
I'd watched younger and older generations throwing themselves around the same floor, while multiple generations of bands shared the same stage. People who perhaps would never have met if it hadn't been for this particular gig.
No comments:
Post a Comment