Facebook


Find us on Facebook!

To keep updated like our page at:

Or on Twitter:
@MusipediaOMetal

Or E-mail us at:
musipediaofmetal@gmail.com

Tuesday, 29 September 2026

A View From The Back Of The Room: Tungsten (Alice Doyle)

Tungsten, Butane Skies & Ruhnt, Gryphest Day 1, Gryphon, Bristol, 25.09.26


The first day of Gryphest 2026 saw a free show to begin the weekend.

Ruhnt (8) started on a very strong note, balancing growling - almost screaming - elements with funky math rock undertones. As the set went on we visited almost that early 2000s high school rock vibe, but much harder. Sadly they suffered from what I’d consider ‘technical difficulties’, rendering one of the microphones almost inaudible, which was a shame because all three of the vocalists seemed capable and harmonised well. I scribbled in my notes “these guys go home and play super meat boy”, which wasn’t a diss. They finished the set with a slower song, which wound up being my favourite of the set.

We made an initial note, that Butane Skies (6) seemed very “fresh out of music studies”; technically and theoretically sound, but somehow lacking creativity and passion. This time the main vocalist had some microphone complications, and throughout the first few songs I could barely hear them - which is a shame, because once we did hear them, they actually had a very beautiful voice. 

The band performed a good range of emotional, melancholic tunes narrated by a moody keyboard tune, later followed by a violin that was sadly drowned out by the drums - a fault I’ve noted in small venues in the past. Towards the end of the set we were presented with a cover track, which to me personally felt unnecessary, although it displayed their musical talents. I saw potential, but couldn’t grasp anything that made me want to personally see them again.

Tungsten (7) are a three piece powerhouse had a lot to prove after the first few acts, but would wind up being my second favourites for the evening. The set was heavy, but with elements of modern punk and the bass was bopping. Out of the three bands I had witnessed on the day these guys seemed the most comfortable on the stage, and in engaging the audience.

I felt that vocally they were not as strong as the last two groups, and as the set went on I noted that the genre was fluctuating a lot as if they hadn’t yet pinned down an identity. Nevertheless it was a strong finish to an excellent night of live music at the Gryphon, kicking off Gryphest with volume and THAT bass!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.