Facebook


Find us on Facebook!

To keep updated like our page at:

Or on Twitter:
@MusipediaOMetal

Or E-mail us at:
musipediaofmetal@gmail.com

Tuesday 16 April 2019

Reviews: Polar, Pioneers, Ketos, Tuning (Polly)

Polar: Nova (Arising Empires)

Metalcore is essentially the Kardashians of the Metal sub-genre, a few have successes from following the style of the founders and then so many try to be exactly like that and fail, it’s a lovely surprise when you come across a band that have the fundamentals of the sub-genre but put their own spin on it, this is the case with Polar. The track Devil has some of the beefiest grooves I have heard, the idea of the vocals with backing of the band as a group works well with the melodies, this also works well with Cradle. There are some posthardcore essences to the album with Adore and they do remind me of Northlane in a few areas but still have a unique spin to them but I get an impression that they are being cautious on the album and could the push the boundaries more with their song writing, if they do this correctly they could go far. Prey is one of my favourites on the album with the team effort of vocals in the beginning that sucked me straight in, the speed of the track incorporated with the grooves and the frantic backing guitar riff as a layer to the track works well. Overall I enjoyed this album and would spend my own time to listen to this again, it’s one for my permanent album collection. 8/10

Pioneers: Insecurities (Self Released)

The album opens with a faint guitar building up to an overall generic guitar riff, I wouldn’t say that it is terrible but it has definitely been done before, the album then flows effectively into Checkpoint which is an improvement to the basic intro of the album, particularly the song structure. The groove throughout the track is ruthless, the clean vocals do need some work, they aren’t powerful enough to compete with the bass, guitars and drum beats which if you are vocalist in a metalcore band you do need to have a voice that has enough power to not be drown out by your other band members. I enjoyed the track, especially the unclean vocals incorporated with the breakdowns and bridges.

False Colours has more of a posthardcore vibe to it which suits the vocal style more, this track blends the metalcore grinds & chugs well with the fast paced riffs of the posthardcore passage. It’s a unique contribution to both genres, to me this is a step in the right direction to how can evolve. Speaking of evolving, I liked the electronic parts and beat in Grounded it isn’t a full song more of an interval, it’s an effective method to separate the album before heading into the intense drums and build-up of Ideals, I do think clean vocals would work better on the majority of this track with just unclean vocals on the back up. Overall I liked the album but there is room for improvement in respect of vocal placement. 7/10

Ketos: First Strike (Hostile Media)

As soon as this album started playing the instrumental side of this band made me immediately think of Children of Bodom but with their own twist on the vocals. When listening to the album I got the impression that the lyrics throughout are deeply personal and areas that the band feel strongly about... What a better way to express this than with thrashy riffs. Escape the Chains has a juicy riff through it that brings me back to when I first started listening to metal. The rough around the edges vocals have the right presence to the album. The album then leads onto Into The Maelstrom

The bridge leading into the chorus works so well before going back into the debauched thrashy riffs. Harmacist is a track on the album that led me to the conclusion that the band have strong views that they bleed through their music, I can just picture the pits that would be shepherded by the band from this track. I like the dark lyrics that imply a Marxist view that it is the bands frustration towards discrimination of lower social classes and that you are only valued if you have money. To me it shows the bands softer side with their emotions that is expressed in an aggressive manner to show their passion to their music, it’s almost a paradox that lyrics. 7/10

Tuning: Hanging Thread (Swell Creek Records)

The LP begins with Kara Thrace it's the first song that get a feel about what Turning have to offer. The instrumental side of the LP are spot on, the hardcore punk vibe is evident with strong influences seeping through to early Mindless Self Indulgence, the only flaw I find on the album is the vocals, I get that it’s the punk vibe of pouring all of your rage into what you produce, but is there really need to sound like the angry drunk guy in the pub that makes no sense? It let down the record so much. I love the fast paced guitars that do give a burst of energy to the listener. Hanging Thread is one of the tracks that I enjoyed more than the rest however the vocals are quite frankly annoying. I can see references to late 80’s and early 90’s punk but as punk music evolves maybe this style of writing needs to stay in the late 80’s early 90’s. 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment