Facebook


Find us on Facebook!

To keep updated like our page at:

Or on Twitter:
@MusipediaOMetal

Or E-mail us at:
musipediaofmetal@gmail.com

Wednesday 22 February 2023

A View From The Back Of The Room: Gojira (Live Review By Alex Swift)

Gojira, Cardiff International Arena, Cardiff, 17.02.23

Gojira are back in Cardiff! The first time I saw the band was in an unlikely support slot for Alter Bridge. I remember being incredibly impressed by their whiplash riffs, and deeply complex style of extreme metal. Although, I can’t say that I truly grasped what I was hearing first time. From their playing style to the transitions in their songs, they tread their own path and dare listeners to meet them on their own terms. 

However, since that day I’ve grown to revel in the viciousness of more extreme forms of metal, Gojira’s particularly as I loved the combination of progressive ideas, with the throttling intensity that you expect from the genre. So, when I was offered the chance to see them again at the last minute, I snapped up the opportunity incredibly quickly and got to Cardiff in just enough time to get down the front of the International Arena to witness Gojira’s entire set!

I don’t know if you’ve ever been at the front at a Gojira concert but its not like anything I’ve ever experienced. From the moment the countdown clock, projected on to a tall curtain ended, started a non-stop assault on the senses. I was thrown in every direction by the sheer movement of the crowd as a united force and enraptured by the volume and extremity of the music that I also experienced reverberating through my body! 

Asked by the editor of this blog if in experiencing the show I felt every organ in my body shift to the left, I noted that I had. Regardless, I loved every minute of this, which is a shock to me, as I can’t help thinking of the younger me who would have been incredibly freaked out. I’d like to think its brutal music that allowed me to overcome my fear of these sorts of environments, allowing me to experience this concert in the way that I did.

There are few moments I can point to and identify as my favourite moments of the night, yet that’s only because the concert as a whole was so impressive. Moments like the performances of L’Enfant Sauvage, The Heaviest Matter Of The Universe and Flying Whales – the later of which saw the audience chanting “Whales” in the same way a rugby crowd would chant “Wales” - were awe-inspiring in their multi-layered nature, as despite the gut-wrenching elements of this concert, moments like this emanated beauty and power, leaving the audience enthralled. 

 The ability of Gojira to imbue their music with real emotion sets them apart from other metal bands. The band's music has a purpose, as seen by singer Joe Duplantier's fervent vocals, which he performs with a heartfelt intensity. Because of this, their live performances develop into much more than simply a showcase of their musical prowess; they also serve as an outlet for the band's enthusiasm and a call to action for their fans. This is notably clear during the enormous sing-along song The Chant and even the fist-pumping moment of Our Time Is Now, which receives a great reception, despite just being released a few months prior.

Visually, the show is spellbinding. I’ve already mentioned the curtain fall trick that I’ve seen done at many different concerts, yet is no less visually striking, put to music. The prominent use of water vapour cannons accentuates the most powerful moments in the show , with giant white plumes over the audience heads. Meanwhile, the screen behind the band projects all number of surreal and elusive images, one of the most impressive moments being the short animated sci-fi film accompanying Another World being one of the most creative uses of visuals I’ve seen in a show. 

“We found a new planet, just for the four of us to live on” our frontman says at one point, gesturing to his bandmates, adding “but we came back especially for tonight”, eliciting cheers from the crowd. It’s worth pointing out though that Gojira do not need any of this – they are great enough performers that they could play a show on the strength of the music alone. The fact that they give the audience a show alongside that, shows their commitment to their craft!

Many have mused that Gojira’s progression in the size of venues they’re playing is a sign that they’re the next metal acts to headline festivals and perform in sold out stadiums when idols like Metallica and Maiden retire. However, even if the band continue to enjoy a large cult following, then those who do see them will know them as one of the greatest live acts on the circuit! 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment