Facebook


Find us on Facebook!

To keep updated like our page at:

Or on Twitter:
@MusipediaOMetal

Or E-mail us at:
musipediaofmetal@gmail.com

Wednesday 15 February 2023

A View From The Back Of The Room: Karnivool & The Ocean Collective (Live Review By Duncan Everson)

Karnivool And The Ocean Collective, O2 Academy, Bristol 03.02.23

I have to start this review by saying that I was disappointed with the turnout for this gig, as it wasn’t completely sold out. My disappointment comes though, not because of any lack of numbers in the audience, but because I had a “hilarious” joke all prepared based on sardines and The Ocean, which I obviously can’t now use, damnit! (I laughed - Ed) If ever there was a venue, I thought I was guaranteed to be able to use it in, then this was the place. As it was though, the O2 Academy was nicely packed but not dangerously so, so not far short of capacity and just right to give an excellent atmosphere throughout the night.

And what a night it was! I’d only managed to listen to the latest album by German prog metal band The Ocean Collective (to give them their full name) once ahead of time so wasn’t very familiar with what they were going to play but knew it was sort of like TesseracT who I like, so all good. What I wasn’t expecting, though, was to be so completely blown away by the band, as they were just amazing. Being live you expect everything to sound heavier and so it proved, with the quieter passages of music just making the “loud stuff” all the more crushingly heavy. 

The songwriting of this band is just something else, with so many changes in musical style throughout their songs, sometimes quiet and slow, other times loud, fast and on at least a couple of the songs, nearly death metal levels of intensity. And it was during one of these most intense passages that I had an epiphany of sorts – I suddenly realised that I was enjoying every part of what was being played on stage, including the harsh vocals, something I haven’t been able to stand for the last 35+ years since I first heard and disliked them in the ‘80’s. Bloody hell, what a band!

As there were only the two bands playing, it gave The Ocean (10) more time on stage, which can only be a good thing. During the last song, the singer even sent the microphone into the crowd for one member to sing/scream a verse, and he did a damn good job of too – well done that man.

This was truly a headline-worthy set and I can’t wait to see them again next time they’re in the country, which could well be ArcTanGent in August. It has been announced since the gig that they are also releasing a new album on May 19th, so even more good news.

Now, following that was always going to be a very tricky prospect for Karnivool (10), but I believe they may have raised their game to do just that, as they didn’t put a foot wrong throughout their set.

With a setlist taken mainly from Sound Awake, most of their second album was aired, which was a little unusual for a band to largely ignore their latest album in favour of an older one but it worked for me as that’s the one I was most familiar with. Clearly Bristol had been waiting to see the band for some time now as the crowd were in excellent voice throughout, even leading the singer to mention how loud they were on one occasion. And singing the percussive intro to Simple Boy was a joy to hear and clearly pleased the band too, who seemed to be having a great time all night.

The evening could be summed up as being an absolute showcase for this type of music’s best exponents as it was truly a memorable night and I can’t imagine anyone walking away disappointed. - just amazing! In fact, between them, these two bands could well have my bank manger coming round to do my kneecaps to stop me buying even more of their CDs, so it’s probably just as well that Karnivool record at the pace they do, although a new album at some point in the next 10 years would be nice chaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment